Mayor Nicomedes Cadiz dela Cruz Jr. was born on July 7, 1958. He is the youngest of the seven children of Nicomedes Albano dela Cruz Sr. (deceased) and Former SB Member Eufrosina C. dela Cruz. He is happily married to Ms. Lilibeth Pascua Macadangdang and is blessed with only daughter Fritzie Ann Kaye, a newly-registered nurse.
Nico, as his friends and relatives fondly call him, finished Bachelor of Arts in Political Science at the Divine Word College of Laoag. His elementary, secondary and tertiary education built a strong foundation for his political career. When he was still in college, he already had the ardent desire to serve his barangay mates. His victory was his first stair of success when he was elected for three (3) terms, unopposed, as Punong Barangay of Bgy. # 3, San Andres II, Bacarra. This was in the year 1988 up to 2001. During that time, he initially worked with various groups; among them the Association of Barangay Council Multi-Purpose Cooperative, Inc. (ABC-MPC) in which he is the founder. By virtue of succession in the year 1994, he was appointed as ABC President of Bacarra due to the sudden death of Former ABC President Manuel Rivera. Then from 1994 to 2001, he was elected as Liga ng mga Barangay President of the Municipality of Bacarra, again unopposed.
Prior to beginning his term as Mayor in 2007, Mayor Nico served as Vice Mayor of the municipality for two consecutive terms (2001-2007). He was an auditor of the Vice Mayors League of the Philippines – Ilocos Norte Chapter and President of the Bacarra National Comprehensive High School Alumni Association. His seven years as Vice Mayor have been marked by an emphasis on strong fiscal management and a slate of initiatives to stabilize and strengthen the municipality’s economic security.
Mayor Nico’s inauguration as the Local Chief Executive of the Municipality of Bacarra on June 30, 2007, as he succeeded the late Mayor Philip Corpus Velasco, marks a milestone in his long and distinguished career in public service. Becoming a mayor was an unexpected turnabout, an amazing grace from above. Indeed, this is the biggest challenge in his life wherein he has to craft his own novel. In his novel, he exerted his efforts to make every page a resounding success. As an evidence, the following projects have been realized for no less than a year in his term as mayor: the purchase of a land fill, garbage compactor, concrete paving of various barangay roads, revival of the extension of livelihood assistance to Rural Improvement Clubs (RICs), rehabilitation of a portion of the public market, implementation of flood control projects and various infrastructure projects and rehabilitation of the Municipal Hall.
At present, Mayor Nico’s term in office resulted in a period of growth and prosperity in the town of Bacarra. His decades-long public service record reflects his commitment to active partnerships between government and the private sector, not only to meet basic needs, but also to improve the environment, preserve heritage, enrich culture, provide economic opportunity and to give citizens an active voice in their government and community. A manifestation is the revival of the then OPLAN: BIGAY-PUSO – Sarungkar iti Barangay, now dubbed as SAGUT TI GOBIERNO ITI BARANGAY, a two-month yearly medical, dental and social outreach activity penetrating all the 43 barangays of the municipality.
With his economic development principles, concepts and insights, Mayor Nico also launched the Noble Initiative for Countryside Opportunities by Mobilizing Enterprise Development for Economic Sustainability (NICOMEDES) of Bacarra Program, a project which is focused on equipping the unemployed adults, out-of-school youth and even college graduates with technical-vocational skills that will enable them to be employed locally or abroad and to establish additional sources of income.
The concrete paving of municipal and barangay roads, construction of multi-purpose buildings and pavements, construction of farm-to-market roads, improvement of drainage and irrigation canals and various projects to preserve and promote the municipality’s heritage were given priority by the present dispensation in its commitment to public service and the ideal of an empowered local government unit (LGU).
As a promising and dynamic leader who demonstrate an exceptional quality of leadership and good record in public service, he is a recipient of various awards such as “Serbisyong Publiko Award”, “Excellence Achievement Award” and “Gawad – Public Service Award” accorded by the Luzon Visayas Mindanao Information Research Magazine, Kabisig Development for Progress, Inc. and Gawad International, Inc., respectively.
Being one of the catalysts of progress, Mayor Nico’s goal is to bring together greater development, prestige and honor for a progressive and peaceful community and for an improved quality of life of every Bacarreño.
- CERTIFICATE OF COMMENDATION from the Bureau of Alternative Learning System in recognition of his distinguished contribution and invaluable support to the implementation of the programs and projects of the Department of Education’s Alternative Learning System (ALS) on November 12, 2013 at the Department of Education, DepEd Complex, Meralco Avenue, Pasig City.
- AWARD from the Department of Education in recognition of his support in providing infrastructures, Direct Assistance and Technology Supports towards improving the quality of public education in the country through the Adopt-A-School Program from the Department of Education on September 27, 2012 at the Bulwagan ng Karunungan in DepEd Complex, Meralco Avenue, Pasig City.
- EXCELLENT ACHIEVEMENT AWARD from Kabisig Development for Progress, Inc. for “Outstanding Dedicated Mayor” on December 19, 2009 at Coral Ballroom B Waterfront Manila Pavilion Hotel.
- GAWAD-PUBLIC SERVICE AWARD “SERBISYONG TAPAT” from Gawad International, Inc. for “Most Outstanding Senior Municipal Mayor of the Philippines” on March 29, 2009 at Gallery Hall, Manila Hotel.
- SERBISYO PUBLIKO AWARD from Luzon Visayas Mindanao Information Research Magazine for Most Outstanding Mayor/Exemplary Public Servant of the Philippines (and “Foremost Advocate of Good Government” for Integrity, Dedication, Invaluable Public Service, Resounding Public Relation and Civic Leadership) on July 19, 2008 at Gallery Hall Manila Hotel.